Friday, August 7, 2009

Height and Aging

After reading Laura's discussion on Sim height and aging, I've decided to use the stretchskeleton cheat to make my Sims different heights. Since I'm a huge math nerd, this meant I had to do several calculations.

First, I looked up average heights for men and women on Wikipedia. (My idea of tall vs. short is pretty screwed up because of the wide range of heights in my family; I'm 5'1", but my little brother is 6'7".) According to Wikipedia, the average height for men is about 5'10", and the average height for women is about 5'4". Therefore, I decided to assume the default adult height is 5'7". This means the average stretch factor for a man is 1.04, and the average for a woman is 0.96. So my conversion chart looks something like this:

5'0" = 0.90
5'2" = 0.93
5'4" = 0.96 (average women)
5'8" = 1.0 (default adult)
5'10" = 1.04 (average man)
6'0" = 1.07
6'2" = 1.10
6'4" = 1.13

I haven't figured out toddler and children heights yet because my neighborhood doesn't have any children yet, but I'm planning to base their heights on age. When they become teenagers, I will transition them up to their adult height.

I'm also working on an algorithm to determine a child's height based on his or her parents' heights, but that's still in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment